Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Mirror Mirror on the wall...

I've been participating in an amazing "young women's" bible study. We have chosen the study by Beth Moore called, "A woman's heart, God's dwelling place" and while at first i had my doubts and critiques I have come to realize that i have learned so much from this study. Beth is taking us through the the Old Testament and the Tabernacle and it's importance and how we can apply it to our daily lives. This past week we were studying the Alter of Incense and the Basin Laver. This may seem boring to you but it's incredible to see how God used particular tasks and sacrifices to bring about atonement and glory.

The Basin Laver was an interesting study. I learned that this was made out of the wealthy women's mirrors. So when the priests went in to wash their hands and feet they had to look at themselves in the mirror. The reason for this is so they could become right with God. I thought this was so cool because I really struggle with admitting my sin and bringing up who i am to God. Usually I just pray, "God forgive me of my sins" and move on. But what i realized is this is not what God wants from us. He wants us to look at ourselves, acknowledge our sin, and have sorrow for our sin so that we might change.

Even after studying this I found myself praying the same prayer over again. It is so hard to acknowledge my sin and to look at who I am when i'm sinning. Then I realized that I haven't been sorrowful over my sin in a months. I haven't wept during a prayer over my sin for a long long time. And you know what? I need too. Communicating with God and explaining to him why i do things not only helps prevent me from repeating old habits but it also deepens my relationship with God and helps me hear the Holy Spirit.

So, when you enter your tabernacle this week, make sure you take a look in the mirror. God desires open communication about every part of our lives, even sin. Jesus bore that sin when he was crucified on the cross... the least we can do is admit the wrongs we have done.

As Beth would say, "Go in peace beloved ones..."

(I really love Beth Moore and all of here little sayings, especially her Arkansas twang...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers