Sunday, March 7, 2010

Rest

As of late I have been finding myself being rejuvenated by silence and solitude. This is typically not an easy thing for me to do because I really enjoy being with people and talking.... Most of the time when I pray I turn music because i can't stand the silence however, I can't even do that because I loose focus. I'm trying so hard to listen to God and it's not easy when you've been ignoring him. Hearing his voice and understanding that it's him takes time and I'm sad I ever stopped listening.

In class the other day Wade Landers asked us what we thought about listening to the Holy Spirit. Do we believe it? Can we hear it? Generally speaking when the Holy Spirit is talking to us he interrupts our thoughts, pushes us to do something we don't want to do, is scriptural, and is never wrong. You can test the Holy Spirit, but the more you ignore the Holy Spirit the less and less you hear his voice. So i've been praying for God to speak to me and he did today and I ignored him. I can't believe I ignored him. I saw a Muslim woman praying at the park today and I thought I have to talk to her, but I was uncomfortable and I didn't know what to say but in the back of my mind all of the lessons that I've heard and studied from the Bible about God using ordinary people and giving us words came to mind. I wish I had talked to her. I wish I hadn't walked away. I pray that God gives me another opportunity and I pray that i will follow be obedient and faithful.

Mother Teresa said, "We need to find God, and he cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature---trees, flowers, grass---grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence... We need silence to be able to touch souls."

So, take a few moments of silence and listen to God. Rest in the quiet and read his word. The more you know about God the easier it is to hear his voice... So just rest....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers